85 - Fête des peres - Landes

Sunday, June 16

Today is an easy day.  My coworker had invited me over to his house today since he'll be leaving on vacation my last few days in the office.  I popped down to a shop in Biarritz for a breakfast pastry to enjoy with coffee plus a gâteau basque to bring with me to this little get-together chez lui.

Just a quick wave check: yup, looks like waves today 😂

Bonnes fêtes de papas, à tous le monde!

I guess the Basque have got the confiture à la cérises market cornered.

The two dogs being connected by one leash/rope and the lady simply holding the middle got a chuckle out of me.  

The drive brought me to parts of les Landes I haven't been to in a while.  Given the last time I drove those routes was mid-winter, they look completely different in the daylight and with foliage.

It was a lovely afternoon spent with him and his family.  Kinda strange that I've only hung out with him on days about him (birthday and father's day) but I truly appreciate the gesture and invitation.  His house is really nice and features photos and art from their various travels around the world.  The architect brother designed an extension to the house.

We enjoyed some drinks over foie gras, then ate grilled beef on the lawn (his mother and aunt came to visit, fresh from COVID quarantine), and then sat around the pool for the afternoon (only the young son was willing to get submersed in the water).

The pool looked inviting, but I wasn't warm enough to just jump in.  Though I could be tempted to dip my feet in...

Feet = dipped

And not too far from the hose is a joli parc.  There's just a slight difference in lifestyle here compared to Jersey City; only a slight one.

I received a lot of tips and suggestions for my upcoming vacation and I was able to share a bit of knowledge with them regarding France: denim is derived from "de Nîmes".  Overall, a great family and he's an awesome guy to work with.  

When I returned to Biarritz, I had a nice call with my family to wish my Dad happy Father's day.  The parents return travel from Lyon went without a hitch, guess I'll have to have a glass of French wine for him since he doesn't have it available now 😂 

Dinner featured slices (des tranches) of kintoa pork, a Pyrenéen breed of pig that almost disappeared but producteurs are trying to bring back now that it can have its own AOP.  And this was delicious pork; it's a shame I didn't have quality jambon de bayonne to compare it with directly but it if you get the chance, please try kintoa pork.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 - Hardly Working - Dax and Castets

76 - All aboard the Pain (au chocolat) Train! - Biarritz

0 - Prologue: and so it begins...