65 - Testing, testing: un, deux, trois - Dax

Monday, May 06

We had a long equipment test today, fortunately my hours for this test were 9 to 7.  So it was just a little long today but the good results were very encouraging.  We'll start again tomorrow to push things even further and wrap things up in the afternoon instead of the evening.  I personally felt quite accomplished when I was able bypass a problem that had tripped us up by suggesting we connect a hose from one drain to another; I gotta earn my salt somehow (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

And no injuries over the course of the day either!

A quiet breakfast in the restaurant hotel this morning.

It's a short work week due to Victory Day and Ascension (Wed & Thur), so I'll also be taking Friday and next Monday as days off to get myself almost a week-long vacation.  I suppose I can spill the beans about my upcoming vacation plans: I'm headed to the island of Corsica.  I've heard great things about the island from friends and coworkers and figured this is a prime opportunity to visit a more southern part of France (though it's not the furthest south part of France, I believe that honor is reserved for la Réunion).  When I had mentioned the idea to my deskmate last Friday, he helped me research possible flight paths (trop gentil!) and I ended up booking his suggestions.  I'll arrive in Figari/Bonifacio the afternoon of May 08 and return to Bordeaux from Ajaccio May 13.   

With my flights to and from Corsica booked but no itinerary formed nor hotels booked, I spent the evening looking over a general plan of attack (after dinner at El Meson).  

The cheeks of a few fish.  I feel like there's a joke about turning cheeks and multiplying fish in here somewhere

Tuesday, May 07

To my surprise, the test went much better than expected.  We ran basically the whole day with the goal of seeing how far we could push things as we did our best to attain the designed conditions; I don't think we were stable but the long run provided a lot of good info.  Everyone was in a good / relieved mood as we closed up shop in the afternoon.  

With the trip coming up, I did some packing in the evening and opted to do some laundry.  With the wash cycle complete, I took the clothes back to the room and planned to use the drier after coming back from dinner.  Dinner was at Chez Nous and from the waiter I learned that the feria season in SW France is fast approaching.

Charlotte aux fraises, like a strawberry shortcake

When I got back to the hotel and went to use the dryer, I found two Americans just finishing up their wash cycle.  Since I had only washed quick drying socks and underwear (and I already have enough for the next week) I let them use the dryer and we chatted for a bit.  One is on a work trip in Dax for implementing & training people about a software system while her friend is visiting/working remotely.  Hearing about her company's travel policy has given me even more appreciation for what my company has allowed me to do: my own rental vehicle (of course, no traveling coworkers), freedom to choose accommodations, and generous reimbursement limits for expenses.  

Anyhow, my bags are packed for the trip now.  I'm traveling light with my backpack and a duffel bag with just enough socks, underwear, and enough clothing to hike and sightsee.  Tomorrow's hotel and the car rental are booked and I should have enough planned to fill the afternoon; after that, we'll have to see where to stay next.  Based on the suggestions I've received, I'll be sticking to just the southern half of Corsica so that I actually have time to get into the mountains.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 - Hardly Working - Dax and Castets

76 - All aboard the Pain (au chocolat) Train! - Biarritz

0 - Prologue: and so it begins...